How should one evaluate research?

Last Friday, I attended the webinar "Research Evaluation with a Wide Net: Capturing Outputs, Impact and Engagement". (I believe I was the only department chair who attended the webinar.) This event was organised by the Research Evaluation Advisory Committee (REAC), which is a subcommittee of the Quality Board that is charged with supporting the evaluation of research management in the universities and proposing ways that research outputs and impact could be evaluated in the future, in line with international best practices.

That interesting webinar centred on three key questions of current importance to the Icelandic research community: 

  1. How do we characterise research outputs across academic disciplines? 
  2. How can we capture the impact of research beyond academia – on the economy, society, culture, public policy, services, health, the environment or quality of life. 
  3. Can we balance quantitative research metrics and qualitative narratives in evaluating research?

I will try to report on the webinar elsewhere and at a later time.  For the moment, I will limit myself to saying that I was flabbergasted by the misconceptions on eopn access publications aired by the presidents of Icelandic universities. We have some educating to do.

Frank Miedema was one of the international experts who presented their views at the webinar. He is Vice-Rector for Research at Utrecht University and chair of the Utrecht University Open Science Program, as well as former dean and vice chairman of the Executive Board of the University Medical Center Utrecht. 

He suggested that one ask academics how they would like to see their research evaluated. Following up on this suggestion, let me ask you:

  1. Do you think that the Computer Science Promotion Criteria and the way in which we (RU, the department and I) evaluate your research are appropriate?
  2. How would you like to see us evaluate your research?

You can post your answers (anonymously, if you wish) as comments to this post. 

Thanks in advance!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comments, suggestions and criticisms on the career development/promotion rules for SoT

Call for input on the outcomes of the HR Monitor results March 2022.

Call for elevator pitches: Timetable spring 2021